At SportingSmiles, we believe in providing you with only the highest-quality dental products to get you the smile that you deserve. We don’t cut any corners, so we only make custom-fitted guards, retainers, and whitening trays. Custom fitting means that you get the most comfortable, efficient experience from your dental solution.
Going with SportingSmiles means that you cut out the middle man and save money while getting the highest quality.
The first step in getting a custom-fitted guard or retainer is taking a dental impression. You can have this done by a dentist, but it is much more cost-effective to take your own impression at home with our impression kits, included with all orders of a custom guard, retainer, or tray.
How to take a dental impression
- Firstly, you need to thoroughly brush your teeth and make sure your hands are clean. Any material in the teeth can affect the impression, and hygiene is of the utmost importance when dealing with dental matters.
- Adjust the dental tray to the size of your mouth. They are adjustable in width by pulling the two halves of the tray apart. The tray can also be made smaller by snapping off a section(s) of the plastic in the rear of the impression tray. Your teeth should be centered in the tray when checking the size.
- Vigorously mix both parts (A & B) of the impression material together until a uniform color is reached. This step is time-sensitive and should be done as quickly as possible (about 20 sec).
- The impression material should then be rolled into a 4- to 5-inch tube.
- Place impression material uniformly into the tray and firmly push the tray onto your teeth. Confirm that the teeth are evenly settled in the impression material before leaving it to set.
- It will take about 4 minutes for the material to fully harden. During this time you want to move as little as possible. After 4 minutes the material should feel firm to the touch and the impression can be removed.
- Remove the tray in a single, smooth motion by pulling either up or down with as little side-to-side movement as possible.
- Rinse the tray and seal in a closed bag.
- Send the impression to us and wait for your custom-fitted dental guard or retainer to arrive!
If you have any questions about your impression you can email a photo to [email protected]. Our team is always ready and willing to assist in making the process as easy as possible for you.