At SportingSmiles, our goal is always to provide our customers with the highest-quality dental products help you get the smile that you want. We don’t cut any corners, so we only make custom-fitted guards, retainers, and whitening trays. Custom fitting means that you get the most comfortable, efficient experience from your dental solution. Choosing SportingSmiles means that you cut out the middle man and save money while getting the highest quality. The first step in getting a custom-fitted guard or retainer is taking a dental impression. You can have this done by a dentist, but it is much more cost-effective to take your own dental self-impression at home with our dental self-impression kits, included with all orders of a custom guard, retainer, or tray.
Written Instructions for Dental Self-Impression
First, you need to thoroughly brush your teeth and make sure your hands are clean before using our dental self-impression kit. Any material in the teeth can affect the impression, and hygiene is of the utmost importance when dealing with dental matters.
- Adjust the dental tray to the size of your mouth. They are adjustable in width by pulling the two halves of the tray apart. Make the tray smaller by snapping off a section(s) of the plastic in the rear of the impression tray. Your teeth should be centered in the tray when checking the size.
- Vigorously mix both parts (A & B) of the impression material together until a uniform color is reached. This step is time-sensitive, so perform as quickly as possible (about 20 sec).
- Roll the impression material into a 4- to 5-inch tube.
- Place dental self-impression material uniformly into the tray and firmly push the tray onto your teeth. Ensure teeth evenly settle into the impression material before leaving it to set.
- It will take about 4 minutes for the material to fully harden. During this time you want to move as little as possible. After 4 minutes the material should feel firm to the touch and the impression can be removed.
- Remove the tray in a single, smooth motion by pulling either up or down with as little side-to-side movement as possible.
- Rinse the tray and seal in a closed bag.
- Send the impression to us and wait for your custom-fitted dental guard or retainer to arrive!
If you are making your first dental self-impression, and are concerned that the impression isn’t OK, you can send a picture to [email protected]